Information technologies have substantially changed the financial industry in recent years. For example, artificial intelligence, big data analytics, and computational models have allowed investment firms to conduct algorithmic trading, high frequency trading, and more precise asset and financial product valuation. Blockchain technologies have nurtured decentralized cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoins and Ether. Networking and mobile technologies have facilitated various financial innovations such as digital payment, crowdfunding, and peer-to-peer lending. These are collectively known as FinTech, which is a hot topic in the business world.
This program contains two major parts. First, it provides an introduction to various FinTech applications to give students the fundamentals of these topics and the technologies behind. Second, it provides students with hands-on experience in using computational model and spreadsheet programming (VBA) to perform financial product pricing.
After taking this programme, participants should be able to:
- Explain the fundamentals of the latest FinTech applications such as cryptocurrencies, algorithmic trading, digital payment, crowdfunding, and peer-to-peer lending;
- Identify the underlying technologies of FinTech applications such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, mobile technologies, big data analytics, and computational models;
- Explain the impact of FinTech on the financial industry;
- Develop financial models using spreadsheet and VBA programming.
- Lectures; firm visit; hands-on tutorials; case studies; presentations
- Prior knowledge in computer programming is not required but would be an advantage.
- Participants are required to bring their own laptop computer to class
- What is FinTech
- Digital payment
- Crowdfunding, P2P lending, microloan
- Big data and data analytics
- Artificial intelligence and data mining
- Algorithmic trading and high frequency trading
- Blockchain and cryptocurrencies
- Spreadsheet modelling
- VBA programming
- Firm visit – Bloomberg
• HKU Summer Institute reserves the right to change, amend, modify, suspend, continue or terminate all or any part of the programme either in an individual case or in general, at any time without notice.