Programme Code: SISS2106
Managed by: HKU Summer Institute
Area of Interest: Science
Programme Period: July 26, 2021 to July 30, 2021
Programme Fee: HKD 6,500
Early Bird Discount (Deadline: February 28, 2021):
– 5% discount on programme fee
Summer Scholarships offered by HKU Academy for the Talented:
Academy members - 20% discount of the programme fee
Deadline for Application: May 31, 2021
Online Application: APPLY NOW
Co-organised by the Lung Fu Shan Environmental Education Centre, an experiential and experimental knowledge institution based at the University of Hong Kong, this online course is designed to help senior secondary school students to acquire a comprehensive understanding of nature and sustainability in Hong Kong.
Through various online activities, students will learn about the features and elements of nature and biodiversity, as well as the approaches in nature conservation and education in Hong Kong. Students are also expected to gain insight and first-hand perspectives that will encourage them to appreciate the wonders of the natural world and proactively engage with nature and biodiversity in their daily lives.
The course will also discuss the environmental issues and challenges of local species and habitats. Through practice in design thinking and problem-solving, students gain capacity to make informed decisions and get involved in nature conservation.
This interdisciplinary course will be composed of lectures, virtual tours, live workshops and other innovative learning opportunities, enabling students to make impactful contributions to local ecology during the one-week study period.
Programme Learning Outcomes
On completing the course, students will:
- Gain knowledge on local ecology and biodiversity
- Learn perspectives on environmental education and nature conservation practices in Hong Kong
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills on environmental issues and challenges
- Become better informed and advocate for environmental causes
- Learn to appreciate wildlife and recognise the importance of biodiversity conservation in Hong Kong
Key Learning Areas
|Knowledge||Skills||Innovative Learning Experience|
● Understanding of biodiversity in Hong Kong
● Approaches on environmental education and nature conservation
● Insights to connect with nature
● Design thinking
● Critical thinking
● Team building
● Observation of wildlife species and habitats through virtual tour
● Identification and mitigation of local environmental issues and challenges
• You understand that you must be available for the entire duration of the programme, from the start to the end of the programme. 20% absence is allowed for emergencies or sick leave with legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence. Students have the responsibility to contact the programme coordinator and/or teacher concerned about this ahead of time. No exceptions will be made, unless prior approval has been given. You are expected to be punctual for all classes and tutorials. Unexcused cases of lateness may count as absence. Students who fail to achieve an 80% of attendance or absence without legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence will not be awarded the HKU Credits or the Certificate of Completion.