Programme Code: SIUS2106
HKU Summer Institute
Targeted Students: HKU Undergraduates, Non HKU Undergraduates
Area of Interest: Science
Programme Period: July 26, 2021 to July 30, 2021
Programme Fee: HKD 6,500
Early Bird Discount (Deadline : February 28, 2021)
– 5% discount on programme fee
– 10% discount on programme fee (HKU Exchange Partners’ students)
*This discount is not in conjunction with other discounts
Deadline for Application: May 31, 2021
Online Application: APPLY NOW
Co-organized by the Lung Fu Shan Environmental Education Centre (website), an experiential and experimental knowledge institution based at the University of Hong Kong, this online course is designed to help students to acquire a comprehensive understanding of nature and sustainability in Hong Kong.
Through various online activities, students will learn about the features and elements of nature and biodiversity, as well as the approaches in nature conservation and education in Hong Kong. Meanwhile, they are expected to gain insights and first-hand perspectives which encourage them to appreciate the wonder of nature and then proactively connect with nature and biodiversity in their daily life.
The course will also discuss the environmental issues and challenges of local species and habitats. Through the trainings of design thinking and problem-solving, students should understand how to make informed decisions and take actions to get involvement in nature and biodiversity conservation.
The course will be interdisciplinary and experiential, including lectures, virtual tours, live workshops and other innovative learning opportunities, making connections and contributions to nature and local biodiversity during the 1-week study period.
Programme Learning Outcomes
On completing the course, students will:
- Gain knowledge on local ecology and biodiversity
- Find out perspectives on environmental education and nature conservation practices in Hong Kong
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills on environmental issues and challenges
- Become informed and advocate for environmental causes
- Learn to appreciate wildlife and recognize the importance of biodiversity conservation in Hong Kong
Key Learning Areas
|Knowledge||Skills||Innovative Learning Experience|
● Understanding of biodiversity in Hong Kong
● Approaches on environmental education and nature conservation
● Insights to connect with nature
● Design thinking
● Critical thinking
● Team building
● Observation of wildlife species and habitats through virtual tour
● Identification and mitigation of local environmental issues and challenges
• Students of non-credit bearing programmes will receive a certificate upon programme completion. Students of credit-bearing programmes can apply a transcript stated with HKU credits, please contact your home institution about the issue related to HKU credits recognition.
• You understand that you must be available for the entire duration of the programme, from the start to the end of the programme. 20% absence is allowed for emergencies or sick leave with legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence. Students have the responsibility to contact the programme coordinator and/or teacher concerned about this ahead of time. No exceptions will be made, unless prior approval has been given. You are expected to be punctual for all classes and tutorials. Unexcused cases of lateness may count as absence. Students who fail to achieve an 80% of attendance or absence without legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence will not be awarded the HKU Credits or the Certificate of Completion.