Programme Code: ENGL2173
Faculty of: Arts
Targeted Students: HKU Undergraduate, HKU Postgraduate, Non HKU Undergraduate, Non HKU Postgraduate
Area of Interest: Arts
Programme Period: June 21, 2021 to July 9, 2021
Programme Fee: HKD 16,400
Early Bird Discount (Deadline : April 30, 2021)
– 5% discount on programme fee
– 10% discount on programme fee (HKU Exchange Partners’ students)
*This discount is not in conjunction with other discounts
Deadline for Application: May 31, 2021
Online Application: APPLY NOW
The application procedure of this programme is separated from HKUSI application system. You will be required to apply and pay all fees separately. For more information, please visit the programme link.
For HKU students, please visit here for the application procedures.
This course offers an introductory survey of the literature produced in England between 700 and 1500. Moving from the earliest period of English literature to the advent of the age of print, this course examines the magic and marvels of medieval literature. We will explore the monstrous from Beowulf’s dragon to the mysterious Green Knight, the magical from the lais of Marie de France to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and the lives of women from the fair maidens of Arthurian romance to the bawdy Wife of The Canterbury Tales, and from Grendel’s murderous mother to the wily thief’s wife in The Second Shepherds’ Play. From the elegies and epics of Old English poetry to the saints and sinners of the ‘miracle plays’, the course covers the major literary works of medieval England before the age of print. Taking readings from across a range of genres, this course will provide a sound introduction to the texts and themes of medieval English literature, while exploring the many faces of the marvellous and the monstrous.
For HKU students:
- A minimum Level 5 in English Language HKDSE exam, or an equivalent score in another recognized English proficiency test.
- Passed 3 introductory courses (with at least one from both List A and List B).
For non-HKU students:
(a) waiving the open test requirement if candidates are studying in a university where English is the medium of instruction; and/ or
(b) following the requirements stipulated by HKU’s admissions office for UG admissions (see also https://aal.hku.hk/admissions/international/admissions-information?page=admissions-standards)
Monday – Friday 14:30 – 17:30
For enquires, please contact Faculty of Arts General Office:
Phone: +852 3917 8977
• You understand that you must be available for the entire duration of the programme, from the start to the end of the programme. 20% absence is allowed for emergencies or sick leave with legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence. Students have the responsibility to contact the programme coordinator and/or teacher concerned about this ahead of time. No exceptions will be made, unless prior approval has been given. You are expected to be punctual for all classes and tutorials. Unexcused cases of lateness may count as absence. Students who fail to achieve an 80% of attendance or absence without legitimate reason and official letterhead proof for the absence will not be awarded the HKU Credits or the Certificate of Completion.